Tuesday, March 12, 2013


When his daughter wondered why she couldn't play the classic Donkey Kong game as the Princess to try and save Mario, this awesome dad hacked the game so she could!

He didn't spare any details either:
"Two nights after my daughter’s request, I was knee deep in the Donkey Kong ROM, trying to make sense of the graphics. If I was going to replace the sprites, I needed to go all in. I needed to reduce Pauline’s height – she is three tiles tall to Mario’s two, a throwback to when Donkey Kong was going to be a Popeye game. I managed to reduce her height by taking some liberty with her design. I kept the head and hair pretty much intact. But, without any sort of onion-skin animation tools, I was animating blind with only the Mario sprites as reference."
Check out the end result of his work:


For the Full story on WIRED click here

0 comments:

Post a Comment