Monday, September 9, 2013

4 year old Myla puts her imaginative finishing touches on her artist mom's sketches.



Mica Angela Hendricks is a 39 year old illustrator, graphic artist and proud mom of a very imaginative four year old. Mica had just bought herself a new sketchbook, one that she promised herself she would not just "doodle" in. She got some new supplies and started sketching out some portraits. Intrigued by the new material, 4-year-old Myla wanted to take part in these new illustrations too. Hesitant at first Mica explained to her daughter that this was her "special book" and tried to convince Myla to use her own art supplies but the girl could simply not resist. She stared at her mommy and explained "If you can’t share, we might have to take it away if you can’t share.” Impressed by her persistence (and use of the reverse-mommy-role), Mica allowed her daughter to draw a body on the head she had sketched out. 
Mr. Beaver
As Mica puts it:
"Sometimes I would give her suggestions, like “maybe she could have a dragon body!”  but usually she would ignore theses suggestions if it didn’t fit in with what she already had in mind.  But since I am a grownup and a little bit (okay a lot) of a perfectionist, I sometimes would have a specific idea in mind as I doodled my heads.  Maybe she could make this into a bug!  I’d think happily to myself as I sketched, imagining the possibilities of what it could look like.  So later, when she’d doodle some crazy shape that seemed to go in some surrealistic direction, or put a large circle around the creature and filled the WHOLE THING in with marker, part of my brain would think,What is she DOING?!?  She’s just scribbling it all up!  But I should know that in most instances, kids’ imaginations way outweigh a grownup’s, and it always ALWAYS looked better that what I had imagined.  ALWAYS."
 
"For example, the filled-in marker of the one above, she told me, was a chrysalis, for the caterpillar to transform into a butterfly.  Of COURSE it is.  I never would have thought of that.   And that’s why kids make awesome artists."
Take a look at these other incredible Mother x Daughter collaborations:

0 comments:

Post a Comment